Sunday, February 27, 2011

Keratosis Pilaris: i.e. chicken skin

Our skin is our largest organ.  So it stands to reason that it's so hard to take care of it.  Before I got pregnant I had beautiful smooth clear skin; during my pregnancy my upper arms started to get red spots and raised bumps.  7 years later I'm still battling this problem.  My Mom found an article that finally explained to me what is causing this and possibly how to rectify it.  It's called Keratosis Pilaris or Chicken Skin because it looks like goose bumps except they don't go away. 

Once I knew what I was dealing with I was able to look it up on the internet.  I found this article from helpforKP.com :

Half the Population Has Keratosis Pilaris
And Most of Them Don't Know It

Keratosis Pilaris (KP) is a very common skin condition often referred to as "chicken skin". If you have keratosis pilaris, you are not alone. Worldwide, keratosis pilaris affects an estimated 40 to 50% of the adult population and approximately 50 to 80% of all adolescents. Varying in degree, cases of KP can range from minimal to severe.

Most people with keratosis pilaris don't know they have it. While KP resembles goosebumps, it is characterized by the appearance of small, rough bumps on the skin. Primarily, it appears on the back and outer sides of the upper arms, but can also occur on thighs and buttocks or any body part except palms or soles. (Often confused with acne.)

Keratosis pilaris is unsightly but completely harmless. KP tends to be worse during the winter months or other times of low humidity when the skin dries out. It may also occur and/or worsen among pregnant women or show up after childbirth.

DERMAdoctor Keratosis Pilaris Regimen KitI just purchased two products from DERMAdoctor from their KP Duty Line.  I using applied both for the first time today.  The lotion is non greasy and absorbs quickly leaving your skin silky smooth and the scrub, althought pricey, feels great and you use very little.  Literally I dipped my finger tip in it and used that for my entire upper arm. 
My son has it on his legs and arms and hates any lotions or creams.  While he was sleeping I massaged some into his legs and it was absorbed in seconds.  When he woke up he had no idea I had done it.  I'm going to continue this nightly to see if it alleviates the bumps since I find him scratching them from time to time and then he has little scabs on his legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment