Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday February 26, 2011

Wow I can't believe it's been almost 2 weeks since my last post.  
Last Friday we headed up to my parents on Long Island in NY.  Unfortunately Bob couldn't make the trip with us due to work obligations.  Jake had off on Monday for Presidents day so it was nice to have an extra day to visit. 

Jake was really excited to see Grandma & Grandpa and his Aunt, Uncle & Cousin.  We don't get to visit that often so we've recently started using Skype to keep in touch and "see" each other.

Unfortunately allergies started hitting us on the drive up and we were under the weather for the whole visit.  But it all worked out.  Jake got to play with his 2 year old Cousin and they had a blast together.  Saturday Grandpa and Jake went to see Gnomio and Juliet in 3D and they both loved it.  Mom & I got to spend some quality time together doing what we do best  SHOPPING.  We hit Marshall's and got to browse at our leisure.  We have one in MD but I have a hard time getting there; plus it's way more fun to shop with my Mom.

Last time we went I found these Kinetic Go Green Food Storage containers, they're BPA free & FDA approved and recyclable.  They nest inside each other with the covers on (they snap closed on all four sides for an airtight seal) this way I don't have a cabinet full of mismatched covers and they save space. 



This time we found a 2 pack of water/juice pitchers (68 oz ea) for $9.99 and a  7 piece Food Storage set for $24.99.  The one I purchased stores in a 328 oz Container with a Handle.  The other 6 containers are all rectangular : two 37 oz, one 31.7 oz, one 21 oz, one 12 oz, one 10 oz.
Kinetic Go Green Premium Nano Silver 7 Piece Food Storage Container SetI find these don't discolor or cloud like the disposable kind.  I plan on storing brown sugar, cane sugar and other dry goods in them in my pantry which should help me organize and find items when I need them as well as keeping them fresh. 






2 Piece Set of Rectangular Kinetic Go Green Premium ContainersTo save money I buy frozen 100% juice concentrate; now I can get rid of my old pitchers, which probably contain  BPA, and use these safer pitchers.  They'll fit on my refrigerator door or the shelf and take up less space as they're narrow and a bit taller than a standard pitcher.


I used to buy off brand or dollar store storage containers  and quickly found they cost me more money in the long run as I had to replace them more often. 

I've learned that even though I want to save money and spend less sometimes you need to spend a few dollars more on items that are used daily.  They last longer and end up saving you money in the long run.

My Mom bought some pitchers as well, she needed to replace the old shelf one my Dad has been using for his green tea.  

I bought Jake a couple of new pairs of sneakers and some socks but we had to go return them the next morning since he didn't like the way they felt.  Jake has a tactile issue and we have a difficult time finding clothing items and shoes that he'll wear.  He's 7 1/2 and we just recently got him to start wearing socks, but that's a whole other story for another post.

The rest of our visit we just hung out at home.  We ordered in Chinese food which is a New York  must.  Chinese food in MD is definately not up to par with New York. Usually I have Pizza & a Pastrami sandwich from Ben's but we weren't up to going out to eat.

Monday morning we headed home in between snow storms.  We were sad to leave but wanted to get home safely and missed Daddy/Husband.  Jake & I will head back up North over the summer for a longer visit.  We enjoyed our visit and miss our family very much.  It makes the time we spend together that much more precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment